The local information centre is located in Apex Park adjacent Shiels Terrace (the highway) just to the east of the bridge over the Glenelg River. It is open from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. daily (not open on Christmas Day) and can provide exact details on the whereabouts of interesting out-of-town attractions, tel: (03) 5581 2070.
Casterton Historical Society Museum
The Casterton Museum is located in the old railway station at the corner of Jackson St and Clarke St, near the river. It features a display of memorabilia relating to local history. Opening times vary so it is best to ring first, tel: (03) 5575 3294 or (03) 5581 2358.
Mickle Lookout is located on the northern side of town. Head off the highway along Robertson St and turn left into Moodie St. The lookout proffers fine views over the town.
The Castleton Fine Art Gallery
The Castleton Fine Art Gallery is located in Henty St.
In 1941 a fleur-de-lis with a circumference of 91 metres was carved into the hill overlooking the town by the Scouts. It was originally illuminated by old rags soaked in kerosene and set alight. Electric lighting has since been installed to maintain the tradition.
Warrock Homestead Complex
The 'Warrock' station was established in 1841 and was taken over, in 1843, by Scottish cabinet-maker George Robertson. By 1860, when he obtained free-hold title to the land, he had erected about 40 buildings which constituted something of a private village. He initially lived in a cottage which he constructed of Tasmanian timber, handmade nails and blackwood shingles.
33 of Robertson's well-preserved buildings remain. Principally designed after mid-19th century pattern book sources, they typically feature Gothic effects such as steeply-pitched roofs with pronounced gables, fretted bargeboards and finials and are spread out over two acres. They include the original cottage, the homestead (built from 1848 to 1853 and retaining the hand-made original timber furniture), the fine woolshed, a smokehouse, a slaughtering shed, the shearer's quarters, a belfry (the bell was used to summon hands to meals), a dairy, a grain store, a baking house, the stables, a blacksmith's and the brick dog compound which housed the canines used to hunt the local dingoes to extinction. It is argued that Robertson bred the first kelpie at Warrock.
The architectural and historical value of these buildings is recognised by the National Trust which considers it the "most important pastoral station complex in Victoria". Robertson's descendants lived on the property until 1991 and there is much in the way of antique equipment and tools (steam engines, treadle lathes, chaff cutters etc). There is a picnic area and it is open daily from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. An admission fee is charged.
Warrock is also is the traditional home of the Kelpie dog, bred in the early 1870s from a pair of black and tan collies, the first pup was named 'Kelpie' and Casterton dubbed "Kelpie Country" in honour of this birthright. A bronze statue now stands outside the Casterton Town Hall as a testament to the working dog's ability and the Kelpie walking trail features sculptures of the Kelpie.
To get to Warrock homestead you can head east of Casterton along the Glenelg Highway for 6 km and turn left onto the Chetwynd Rd. After 15 km take the signposted left into Warrock Rd and it is several kilometres to the complex. Alternatively, if you are travelling north of Casterton along the Apsley Rd turn right into Warrock Rd 24 km north of Casterton, tel: (03) 5582 4222.
About 10 or 15 km further north along the Chetwynd Rd is a signposted turnoff on the left to Bilstons Tree which is considered to have the largest volume of millable river red gum in the world. It is thought to be 800 years old and stands over 40 m high with a girth of seven metres, consisting of 9100 cubic feet of timber.
Baileys Rocks and Dergholm State Park
Baileys Rocks are a series of enormous and unusual green-coloured granite boulders in a dry creek bed within the northern section of Dergholm State Park. Follow the Apsley Rd (aka the Naracoorte Rd) north-west for about 39 km (about 6 km beyond the settlement of Dergholm) and a signposted turnoff on the right leads to the Baileys Rocks Picnic and Camping Area where there are toilets, fuel barbecues, picnic tables, drinking water and two walking tracks. A short (3230-metre) loop track leads to the boulders while the Rocky Creek Trail (5 km return) starts further upstream. It is clearly marked by blue arrows and is about 5 km return.
There are also driving tracks in the park which features a diversity of vegetation (woodlands, open forests, heath and swamp communities and spectacular spring wildflowers) and fauna (red-tailed black cockatoos, swift parrots, echidnas, koalas, grey kangaroos and a range of reptiles). A spotlight walk at night may afford a glimpse of nocturnal animal life such as sugar gliders.
The park covers 10 400 ha and is divided into two blocks which are separated by the Dergholm-Edenhope Rd. Once occupied by the Kanal gundidj clan (part of the Jardwadjali language group), it was declared a Park in 1992. Ring (03) 5581 2427 for further details.
The Carmichael Track is signposted off the Casterton-Penola Rd (the Glenelg Highway), west of Casterton. The main picnic area (which has barbecue and toilet facilities) is readily accessible by car but a 4WD is required to venture further at certain times of the year. The walking track leads through an abundance of wildflowers in season, though it is pleasant at any time of the year.
Longlead Swamp Track
Longlead Swamp Track is further west (about 11 km from Casterton) along the highway (signposted to the right). It is another bush track with wildflowers and barbecue facilities. There are waterbirds, kangaroos and emus.
The Bluff boasts spectacular scenery at 160 metres above sea level. The property also has the original family slab hut, relocated schoolhouse, historical local history records and farm stay accommodation. It is signposted off the Glenelg Highway, about 20km from Casterton towards Mount Gambier.